rwd rc-drifters Forum Index

rwd rc-drifters
here is the new forum about the RWD rcdrift world, create by a little frenchie to assemble all the RWD rcdrift comunity in one place ;) Thanks to RWD rcdrift page on facebook and Hei-Ko to the partnership :)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To gyro or not to gyro
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    rwd rc-drifters Forum Index -> TECHNICAL DISCUSSION -> Gyroscope
Previous topic :: Next topic  
dharvin

Masculin

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 12:52 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

hey all,
What are your thoughts on the use of gyro in rwd drifting? There are some who believe its not cheating and others who are strongly against it. What is your take on the subject?

Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 12:52 (2013)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
florianar
Administrateur

Masculin

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 13:18 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

the gyro is indispensable i think...

if you have already try without, you know why i said this ^^

The human response time is too slow with regard to the gyro, si it's the reason what i think it's indispensable to put it on the RWD chassis Wink

florianar
Administrateur

Masculin

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 13:26 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

thanks for the explain chris!  Cool

Chris Chio

Masculin

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 13:27 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

no prob master florianar!

Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 13:29 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

The gyro is vital yes and no, I would say yes to simplify things as it catches errors in reaction time, it is a matter of habit, but it is important not to live with it, c 'is that two wheels on your bike .... LOL it will one way or another to learn and drove without knowing how to set it above;) mount.

I say but I'm not RWD ... lol, trying to get it takes a lot of training and relearn the basics of drift. I am certain that without gyro feasible Smile

RCJohan

Masculin

PostPosted: Mon 27 May - 13:55 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

I don't use a gyro in my car, it makes the whole experience a bit harder but I like it hard, as the girl said... lol  Rolling Eyes

Ryanspeed

Masculin

PostPosted: Tue 28 May - 18:17 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

I have tried both and these are my thoughts:

Drifting without a Gyro is very difficult but with much practice can be accomplished and is very rewarding.  However it is near impossible to tandem without a Gyro.

When I installed my Gyro and had it setup properly, all my drifts became super smooth and it became much easier to direct the car where to go.  If I want to make large arcing drifts or tight snappy ones, it is all possible with the help of the Gyro. Tandem drifting is much more possible, with all types of cars-50/50, CS, and RWD.

With all this, I like to use this principle- Setup the car to drift well without the Gyro, then install the Gyro.  This makes my setup look even better and allows me to drift well without trying.  

Ryanspeed

Monsieur Z

PostPosted: Wed 29 May - 00:00 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

Quote:
 so applying the same concept in rc cars, drift using gyro mimics the momentum of the car's tires moving to where the direction of travel is...

Chris I totally agree with your idea.

And I think I will try as U mentioned Ryanspeed, make the car the more controllable possible within the use of a gyro first of all.

Ryanspeed

Masculin

PostPosted: Wed 29 May - 00:08 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

Monsieur Z - If you pay close attention, that is precisely what Chris did, worked until he had a car that drifted tremendously well without first.  The addition of the Gyro made his drifting even better.  Rather than use a Gyro as an aid to make drifting possible. 

I also agree that a gyro simulates the feeling of having the steering wheel spin through your hand after initiating a drift in a full size car.

Ryanspeed 

Brian Nguyen

Masculin

PostPosted: Wed 29 May - 10:24 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

I agree to all of you guys, Gyro is not cheating in RWD and your setup should be possible to drift nicely before adding gyro. But for me, i want to develop my chassis in both ways as sometime i remove gyro to challenge myself, sometime i add it for simply fun and just to enjoy the day lol !!!

RCJohan

Masculin

PostPosted: Thu 6 Jun - 22:11 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

I tried drifting with a gyro today, and I actually found it harder to drive with the gyro... I basically didn't have any control (by that I mean that I couldn't turn almost at all) over the car with the gyro on.

Justsidewayz

Masculin

PostPosted: Thu 6 Jun - 22:38 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

RCJohan wrote:
I tried drifting with a gyro today, and I actually found it harder to drive with the gyro... I basically didn't have any control (by that I mean that I couldn't turn almost at all) over the car with the gyro on.

I don't have the experience with gyros yet but you should still be able to steer full lock to lock as long as the gyro is not completely taking over. Maybe there is a dual rate setting on the gyro to adjust steering travel EPA.

Ryanspeed

Masculin

PostPosted: Thu 6 Jun - 23:12 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

RCJohan, 

Most gyros do have the adjustment that justsidewayz is refering to.  On the gyro that I use it is called GAIN.  If I turn the gain all the way up it leaves me with almost no control.  Just like what you are experiencing.
I would suggest starting at 50% and tune from there.
Good Luck.

RyanSpeed

Justsidewayz

Masculin

PostPosted: Fri 7 Jun - 00:53 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

The KDS 800 has 5 settings 

Digital servo or not (switch)
Servo Direction Nor/Rev (switch)
Servo delay for non digital servos (pot)
Limit (pot) used to limit servo travel (It is like a dual rate setting on a TX)
Gain Controlled through 3rd channel of radio system

kungpow

PostPosted: Fri 7 Jun - 02:15 (2013)    Post subject: To gyro or not to gyro Reply with quote

I could be wrong but couldn't you just hook the wire from the gyro that is supposed to go to the third channel to a servo tester mounted on the car instead and then you would be able to tune the gyro gain using the potentiometer on the servo tester enabling you to use a 2 channel radio. You can get servo testers on ebay for under $3 shipped which seems a lot better than buying a new radio.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    rwd rc-drifters Forum Index -> TECHNICAL DISCUSSION -> Gyroscope All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create my own forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Cookies | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation